Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Dominic Galligan

emblaser 1 3 watt picture results

Postby Dominic Galligan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi all. I'm new here and to using piclaser to laser pictures. I have pictures of the results but I'm being told they are too big so not sure how to attach them as they would show what's happened. The attachment is the photo I started with. My question is more about the settings and how to find out the best settings for each photo? For the initial trials I was using 3mm mdf, 3ply plywood and bamboo chopping board. I got these settings and I used them but the results were not good the image burnt far too dark. feed rate 2286, pixel resolution .1524, max laser 255.0000, min laser 10.0000. So how do I lighten the picture? Is that done in the editing stage with the brightness and gamma settings? Or is it done with changing the laser power and feed rate? I changed the max power and feed rate and noticed that instead of lasering the whole background it only did some of it and slightly lightened the image. Also using the emblaser 1 do I need to dither or not? Thanks
Attachments
old iphone 002.JPG
old iphone 002.JPG (284.58 KiB) Viewed 8635 times

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: emblaser 1 3 watt picture results

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Dominic,

There are a different ways to lighten your laser engravings. Increase your feedrate, or lighten your image with the Gamma or Brightness, but it's important to Sharpen your image also to bring out more detail. You can lower the Max Laser Value to lighten the darker shades too. There are so many ways to effect the engravings outcome with the image editing & PicLaser settings.

The different materials your engraving will require different image editing & settings also. We have not laser engraved on MDF or Bamboo, but have on Birch Ply and you should be close to the feedrate & laser power values needed for it, but may need some image editing. Your image does look dark in some areas. You should not need to Dither the image. It's a trial & error period to get successful results.

The image attachment size limit on the forum is 500 KiB.

Dominic Galligan

Postby Dominic Galligan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Why would it be only engraving half the picture? I can't attach a photo to show you as it says there too big ok.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Have you closed PicLaser after imputing your name and Registration key and then reopened, loaded image and generated the gcode again?

You have to resize your image to a smaller size to upload to the forum. Look at the size of the image you already uploaded. 284.58 KiB which is less then the 500 KiB limit.

Dominic Galligan

Postby Dominic Galligan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:34 pm

no I had not done that till now and reopening piclaser once registered changed things greatly

Dominic Galligan

Postby Dominic Galligan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:03 am

Dominic Galligan wrote:no I had not done that till now and reopening piclaser once registered changed things greatly

here is a engraving result from the photo in the post. As you can see it's very dark. So to fix that should I lighten the brightness, and the gamma and put more sharpness into the photo? And should I change the feed rate? Make it faster?
Attachments
laser picture results 002.png
laser picture results 002.png (106.96 KiB) Viewed 8611 times

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 am

Was that done on MDF? If so, I have read it burns easy, so lighten your image with gamma and sharpen it some and increase the feedrate. I noticed your image is only 72DPI. You will get better results if your image is a higher resolution/quality. At least 96DPI.

Dominic Galligan

Postby Dominic Galligan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes it was done on mdf and yes it does burn easily. So would it be easier to use another type of wood to test on rather then mdf? Whatabout Bunnings pine plywood?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:46 pm

You should be able to laser engrave your photo on MDF, but you will need to do as I stated before to lighten & sharpen your image in the editor and adjust the PicLaser settings.

Pine Ply would be OK for testing, but if you want quality results, wood with minimal grains like Birch Ply, Basswood or Poplar works the best. We also sand across the grains with fine sandpaper before lasering the image.

Dominic Galligan

Postby Dominic Galligan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:19 pm

thanks will do some more testing today

Return to “PicLaser or PicLaser Lite”