Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Mike D

Problem with .nc output file

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I've been trying to generate an .nc file for a pc board layout without success. The file I'm loading in to PLL is a 24-bit BMP file and I've also tried using an 8-bit gray scale BMP file. PicLaser Lite accepts either file as valid and outputs an .nc file. However, when I load the .nc file into any one of several viewers, the displayed result is strictly a solid rectangle of the correct dimension. I've tried running PLL on a Win XP (service pack 3) and a Win 7 machine and the results are the same - a solid rectangle instead of the traces I expected. Can you possibly point me toward what I may be doing wrong or what would account for the lack of detail in the output file? I appreciate any assistance.
Thanks -- Mike

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Re: Problem with .nc output file

Postby Picengraver » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi Mike,
I assume you are generating gcode with S values for laser control. Without Z depth information in a gcode file, all viewers will only show the x/y lines. If you can zoom in on the solid rectangle far enough, you will see the individual lines.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 am

Hi Mike,
For further clarification, it has occurred to me that perhaps you may be expecting PLL to generate VECTOR gcode, which would display the way you expected in a gcode viewer. In fact, PLL generates RASTER gcode, which can only be displayed in viewers as a series of parallel lines when viewed in plan view (no pan and tilt).

I hope this clears up the issue for you.

All the Best,
John Champlain

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:26 am

Welcome to our new forum Mike.

Jeff

Mike D

Postby Mike D » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Jeff and John,
I appreciate both of you taking time to address the issue I'm having. John, you are correct, I was expecting to see vector gcode. I'm definitely new to the laser engraving scene and am learning as I go. I was trying to load the generated gcode to GRBL Controller 3.4.6 software and was only seeing the solid rectangle shape. I used NCPlot to view the generated gcode and could see the traces on the Z plane after making a couple of adjustments in the settings. I'll keep playing and learning as I go. My end goal is to be able to use the uV laser to expose dry film pc boards and to cut solder paste templates in thin mylar. Thanks again for your time.
All the best to you both for the new year -- Mike

Return to “PicLaser or PicLaser Lite”