Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
wmgeorge

Pic Laser Speed

Postby wmgeorge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:38 pm

So I am trying my new laser build out with some programs and images. I purchased Laser Etch for one thing to make small signs or labels and then be able to cut out. Yes I know its not a Pic product. But its so slow on larger images.

Does Pic Laser as it uses the PWM signal that varies, a lot faster and better on images? I do not mind spending money ifs its the answer. I am using the JTech 3.8 watt driver and a 6 watt laser diode.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Pic Laser Speed

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm

We don't have or use Laser Etch to compare. PicEngrave Pro 5 has features to cut down on engraving time that our PicLaser does not have.

http://www.picengrave.com/PicEngraver%2 ... 0Laser.htm

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm

So If I want to do, analog or PWM laser picture engraving where the power is varied per pixel,(on the fly?) which program will do that? I am running JTech controller and standard GRBL 9.x do I need to change over to his special version and use one of the programs which you sell here? I am thinking PEP5 is for laser and routing and PL is same but just does laser only? Color me confused... : ) ...

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 pm

Both of our image to gcode programs can be used for spindle engraving photos like lithophanes, Varied Intensity laser engraving or TTL (pulsing) B&W laser engraving images.

When TTL Pulsing the laser like for B&W Logos/Dithered images, you do not need to change your firmware because there are only two S command values (on/off) in the gcode file. It will still Dwell slightly, but there is no grayscale it can effect. Laser engraving with Varied Intensity (on-the-fly), you need to use the J-Tech LaserMode grbl 9g. The Variable S command values on each line will execute in real time without any dwelling.

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Ok I think I see the work flow now. I took your demo program PL and just used a straight color BMP image that I had cropped in Corel Draw and used the straight GRBL and the same image again as a JTech version and compared the generated gcode files side by side and can see the differences. Whereas the dithered images are just on-off both the ones generated in PL have varied intensity or power S codes. Thanks again for ALL the help!!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:55 pm

You have to Dither the image in the included editor first, then it will generate just on/off code.

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 am

Actually I wanted the non dithered gcode. I will give it a try this afternoon.

Return to “PicLaser or PicLaser Lite”