Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 Kib.
bryanmaple

Seeking tips for J-Tech and PEP6

Postby bryanmaple » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 am

Greetings,

I have only recently gotten back into laser mode. I have the JTech 2.8 and I just mounted it on a used delta printer that I picked up off of Craigslist. The laser worked fine on my Wanhao I3, but it was a pain switching back and forth between 3d printing and laser engraving. Now I have my JTech 2.8 laser mounted on my delta, and have just recently gotten everything up and running. I'll post some pics and video soon.

My question is this. Going through all of my notes from the last time I had this laser working, I have written down that the optimal distance between the laser and the surface it is printing to, should be 30mm, which I seem to remember came from the JTech website. However, going thru some of the other posts on the forum here, I see that Jeff said to use a 76.2mm distance between the laser and surface. Just wondering if this is what I should be using. I know the last time I was using the laser (back in January/February) I was using the 30mm distance, but now I'm just wondering if I should be using the 76.2mm.

Thoughts?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Seeking tips for J-Tech and PEP6

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:02 am

The 30mm focal distance may be fine for cutting. We found that 76.2 distance is more forgiving if your material is not quite flat when engraving photos because of the beams approach angle is less so the focal point is smaller at a slightly longer distance.

Also with the single element glass lens the J-Tech laser uses, the focal point is not quite round. We raise the laser out of focus and rotated the laser module so the long side of the laser's beam is parallel with the engraving angle being used. We recommend a 45D engraving angle.

45D engraving angle.JPG
45D engraving angle.JPG (34.89 KiB) Viewed 3798 times

Then we lower it back down to the 76.2 focal distance and focused the laser to the smallest spot as possible.

Return to “PicEngrave Pro 5 or 6”