Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
DistortedDesigns

6 watt laser diode

Postby DistortedDesigns » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Looking at moving up to the new 6 watt blue laser diode that DTR has. My 2 watt burns are taking forever and could use the boost in speed. How much faster do you think I would/could have to move to get good gray scale images? I will be doing this with an Arduino Uno too.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: 6 watt laser diode

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:53 pm

We purchased the 6W from DTR just for 3D engraving. The beam shape is not as small as the M140 or 9mm NDB7875 even using the J-Tech lens. We have not done any conclusive testing with it to engrave photos yet, but I can try to do that tomorrow and let you know our results.

I do have to say, if you are planning on running the 6W, make sure you have a very good heat sink for it and your driver. We are pumping 4a to it and it sure generates some heat.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 am

I ran some test today and the 6W is like having a bull in a china shop to engrave shades with varied intensity. Even engraving at 150IPM, it still cuts into the wood (Poplar) I tried a Dithered image with TTL and it did a little better, but not the greatest results either.

The beam's focal point is not as small as when using the M140 or NDB7875 to get any fine detail. If you want to speed up your engravings, I can only recommend the NDB7875 from DTR and set your driver at 1.7a-1.8a max with a 3 element glass lens, or J-Tech's lens. We can engrave at around 100-110IPM depending on the material with it.

If you want to do only 3D engraving, then the 6W is a good option.

DistortedDesigns

Postby DistortedDesigns » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Shouldnt you just limit the top end by chnging it to 200 or less to limit the power? Or add more speed? Figured it was going to take around 5000 mm per min. How large of a dot do you think have? What lens are you using?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:31 pm

We cut a .500" square out of a piece of 1/8" Ply with an air assist and it measured .490" on one side and .485" on the other side. That's an average of .0125" kerf width. The beam's focal point is too large for any detailed photo engraving at that size regardless what power setting or feedrate we run at. The engraving just comes out blurred no matter. We are using the J-Tech single element lens which with the NDB7875 LD, we get just as small .005" focal point/burn line width as using a 3 element glass lens.

Look at the beam shape of a NDB7875 compared to a NDB7A75.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x7 ... 8/2b0j.jpg

Then, look at the beam shape of the NDB7A75 compared to the NUBM44. It's even longer.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... gO5lB7.jpg

If you Invest in a more expensive lens/optics to get a smaller focal point, let us know how your tests go with image engraving using the 6W.

Thanks.
Jeff

DistortedDesigns

Postby DistortedDesigns » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm

I have posted something in the Laserpointerforums under optics to see if anyone has any ideas and I also sent something to DTR about it as well. I need to get a better diode because my engraving times are so long. I hate to go from a 2w to just a 3w for the money. Not much of a price difference to jump higher but doesn't matter if you can't focus it.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:38 pm

We had some new lenses come in a few days ago that we never tried before, so we did a test with one today. Looks like it's focal point is around .007"-.008". We set the Pixel Resolution at .006" and used a 175IPM feedrate and a 20% Feed Rate Change. The burn line appears to have overlapped a little too much. Next time I will try a larger Pixel resolution and will test again tomorrow.

It's 4.7" wide and 6" tall and it took 48:31 to engrave. I need to experiment more with the image editing and PEP5 settings, but here is how it came out.

WC Fields.jpg
WC Fields.jpg (428.74 KiB) Viewed 14430 times

The lenses are real cheap and I'm impressed with them so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445531997?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:45 am

Jeff, wondering what driver are you using for the 6 watt? FlexMod rated up to 4 amp which now using with my 2 watt. Also not familiar with DTR. What is web site name to locate? If staying with FlexMod driver, do you have more powerful diode you would recommend? Been using my laser lately to cut stencils from photo paper for my airbrush projects and could use a little more power.

DistortedDesigns

Postby DistortedDesigns » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 am

What focal distances have you tried from the work piece? I think the norm is 2" or so. LPF said to get closer. You might try 1.25" low power line test after focusing. I would just keep a fan or something to really keep the smoke from the lens. I started using a $20 usb microscope to help with focusing. Has worked out great.

Travel seems a bit slow for the 6 watt. I think it would be closer to 216 to 235 ipm. Just have to add more overlap to allow the machine to slow down before changing directions.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Doug,

We sure have been missing you around here!

We are using the Flexmod and set it for the 6W at 4a max. I do not recommend going any higher so the LD does not degrade quickly. Here is DTR's web site and page for the 6W. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/ho ... aser-diode

He does have a 3.5W that may work better for cutting stencils. The 6W sure is hard to tame. ;-D

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/ho ... 5nm-diodes

I would not recommend any more then 3a max on that LD.

Jeff

Return to “Hardware Discussions”