Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
nJed

Looking for advice / recommendations on laser CNC

Postby nJed » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi folks:

I'm looking for feedback on a new laser system. Currently I'm running an Emblaser 1 - which serves my needs fairly well. I'm looking to expand my capabilities with a larger system and I'm looking for feedback.

Ideally I would like to have a working area in the range of 36" square or something close to that. Secondarily it would be "nice to have" the capability to fully cut thru 1/4" plywood in a single pass.

I'm just starting out on my research, so any suggestions would be appreciated.... thanks.

-Ed

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Re: Looking for advice / recommendations on laser CNC

Postby Picengraver » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Well, there are no laser diodes that will cut 1/4 ply single pass. And be leery of any laser diodes advertised to be over 7 watts. For cutting 1/4 ply single pass, you will have to go with a CO2 machine (probably around 100 watts or better), but that brings up another problem. To have a CO2 with a 3 ft sq working range while also capable of cutting 1/4 ply, I suspect you are looking at a cost of thousands. I hope I do not sound too negative.
John Champlain

nJed

Postby nJed » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, John. Not at all too negative. I've been doing some reading on the diode lasers and the consensus seems to agree with your statements regarding claims of anything over 7W as well as the inability to cut 1/4 ply in a single pass. As I said originally, the cutting was only a 'nice to have' and I thought it might be a pipe dream.

I have much research to complete, but in the early lead is the Shapoko 3 XXL with a 7W diode laser upgrade from J Tech Photonics.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Return to “Hardware Discussions”