Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Honk

DAC

Postby Honk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi John, Jeff Sr.. Jr. and Wagner.
I see this is a different DAC than the one I built (page 21) Is this a better unit? They don't build some of the parts I have in the old one anymore. and it will not keep Zeroed. I have been using Jeff's little invention, and it does work well. But I wired my machine for both :thinking) what do you think?
Thanks Jerry

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: DAC

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:19 pm

HI Jerry,

I have done some bench testing with the new DAC and it works real good. The tricky part is soldering the surface mount SSOP MAX5451 digital potentiometer chip to a 14 pin DIP adapter. John found a company that will do it for $20 including the chip and adapter.

John, can you tell Jerry where you got those from?

Jeff

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 am

Hi Jerry,
The Maximum chips pre-soldered to an adapter are available from Proto-Advantage ( http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/ ).

I have attached an image from my last invoice when I ordered 3 Max chips. You might need to contact them ( info@proto-advantage.com ) before placing an order to be sure they are still available and part numbers or pricing are the same.

Max Chip +Adapter.jpg
Max Chip +Adapter.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

As Jeff said, soldering them yourself to an adapter or pc board can be extremely difficult without the correct tools, so I believe Proto's price is very attractive.

I have a simpler circuit using the Maxim chip but with fewer parts. I have made a couple of prototypes for myself and Jeff, but I have not finished a pc board layout. Email me if you want a copy of the circuit design so you can try it instead.

John

ta1dr

Postby ta1dr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:19 am

DAC (analog digital converter ) how the use DAC extra axis ? I want to change my control card but I didnt select it...I am lost in net :-(
Ahmet UCAN
TA1DR
TURKEY/Istanbul

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Ahmet,

If you are changing to an Arduino UNO and stepper shield, you will not need a DAC. The J-TechPhotonics grbl outputs PWM on pin 11 to control the laser's intensity to a proper laser driver. Jose system is completely different and uses an Arduino Nano instead with no information on how each pin is assigned, but does have a free axis (Z) for wiring a DAC in.

Jeff

ta1dr

Postby ta1dr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:08 am

thanks Jeff
Ahmet UCAN
TA1DR
TURKEY/Istanbul

Jose

Postby Jose » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,

Can I have a copy of the circuit design of this DAC and how to wire it to the free axis in my machine?

Saludos,
Jose

BTW. Yet has to solve an irregular problem that causes shotdown in the machine randomly....sometimes at 15 Minutes from beggiing and sometimes at three hours...think is a Windows problem...and checking forums and discovering that this "'freeze'' problem isn't uncommon.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Jose,

The schematic is in the Help PDF in PEP5. Look for the button to the left above the "View Gray Scale" selection. It is not easy to solder the Digital Potentiometer surface mount chip to a DIP adapter.

Your problem is the gcode streamer your using, not windows. Our PicSender streamer was written to handle the fast changing, very large raster photo engraving gcode files without issues.

http://www.picengrave.com/PicSender.htm

Jeff

ta1dr

Postby ta1dr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:27 am

I design my DAC I used PIC12F683 and connect Z axis my printrboard it is work well but I can not tune :-(

min: 0 max 255 setting on PEP 3D printer screen I wrote small Vbasic code and convert M106 Sx.x to G1 Z0.xxx
my Z axis setting 10000mm/step maybe high maybe low I dont know bwcause my laser driver boad TTL I need a analog also I ordered Flexmod P3 and waitting...

BTW:The printrboard pwm out slowly I measure my scope frq:1khz , I test my DAC with TTL driver no ghost image ....

Ahmet UCAN
TA1DR
TURKEY/Istanbul

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:23 pm

That's interesting Ahmet. Thanks for sharing the DAC schematic using a PIC Processor and let us know how it works for you.

Jeff

Return to “Hardware Discussions”