Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: What wattage diode is best for photo engraving if speed is not an issue

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Try increasing the accels for only the A axis since those positional moves can be longer than the X&Y when the shades in the image are changing abruptly. That is why there is a slight hesitation when burning the lines.

As far as it is still burning too dark, you either have to increase the feedrate, or lower your max value setting. It looks like your getting closer to the best settings though. :cool)

chris190

Postby chris190 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank You!... I will try again tonight and let you know how it went. :D

chris190

Postby chris190 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 pm

An updated on my issues: After doing more test my 6040 CNC controller box started to act up and I could no longer move the axes... I could hear a relay inside connecting and disconnecting on it's own.. maybe a ground loop somewhere or a failing component. All in all I ended up ordering the Gecko 540 4 axis stepper drive along with a higher quality 12.5a PSU and new Nema 23 381 oz/in with shielded cables motors for the X and Y axis... also I got the smooth stepper Ethernet card and a less powerful laser module (2300mw). I'm hoping to put everything together sometime this week and I feel hopeful to get better results with this new setup.... I have a feeling that the old electronics were part of my problem .

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Good luck with your conversion.

chris190

Postby chris190 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank You... It's been a little but I finally completed the conversion and got everything running. I did some test last night using both PicLaser and Laser Etch..... I think I still need some adjustments on the Pic laser but it's better than before and now it's up to me to experiment.. will try more tests tonight but I'm including a picture I did last night that maybe you can give me some feedback. The picture was at 1800 mm/min rate and 0.2mm step using the 2.3w laser..... The LaserEtch on the other hand works perfectly :).

Here is the pic: https://imgur.com/a/KNEah

Regards,
Chris

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Chris,

It's much easier burning B&W images. The laser's focus is not as critical as when laser engraving grayscale images. You need to work on focusing your laser better to bring out more detail/sharpness. Try sharpening the image some in the editor also.

Jeff

chris190

Postby chris190 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank You for yout feedback. I agree....finding that sweet spot for the laser pic can be a bit challenging compared to just on/off but I think I'm getting even closer here :).

I did adjust the focus more careful and I was able to get better results. On the images below I set the feed rate to 1900mm/min. the pitch is 0.2mm and full range for low/high power.

With the new Mach3 profile for the smoothstepper it start addding raster moves if I go above ~19000mm/min..little but little and more pronouced at around 2100mm/min. Could I e-mail you the smoothstepper xml file one more time and let me know if all my settings are ok?

Here are 2 images of my last tests:

this was engraved on birch plywook: https://imgur.com/a/ruIoj

and this one on was on Oak : https://imgur.com/a/UoXjj

Also what is the best wood the piclaser would work best on?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Chris.

I never used a smoothstepper before, so I would not know what to look for in the settings. Both of my Mach3 laser engravers run Windows XP Pro with the good old reliable parallel port to breakout board to stepper or servo motor driver.

You can send me the xml file and I can look at the general settings for running PicConvert board & the laser, but it may be tomorrow before I can get around to it.

Your engravings look better, but they still need more sharpness. The wood we use when laser engraving grayscale is Birch Ply, Poplar or Basswood. We have laser engraved on Oak, but the grains are too dominate, so we Dither the image first to pulse the laser on/off on it instead. It's more forgiving with the grains that way.

Jeff

chris190

Postby chris190 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for all your help and information Jeff.. I appreciate it!!.... .and no problem with me... whenever your time allows works for me.. I'll try to send it tonight sometime :)

Have a great day!!

Chris

chris190

Postby chris190 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks you for sending me the file faster than I anticipated. I got to try again last night and I believe it works very good now... I'm able to get speeds up 2200mm/min with no raster moves....everything moves fast and smooth :) .... the focus I believe is the only issue I have as I get some lines here and there.

Here is a test pic I did last night: https://imgur.com/a/iXmhy

Are the lines from the step value or focus? What is a common step value for a focusable 2-3w laser?.... It seems 0.2mm/step works well for me but I read value of 1.5/1.6mm/step are used too and I tried 1.6 but makes the image more burnt.

Return to “Hardware Discussions”