Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Honk

Getting things syphered out ?

Postby Honk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:50 pm

Jeff
I am doing some calculating on my drives and I am not sure what I want yet.
1: You mentioned you had to change the pulley drive size for the timing belt on one of your lasers. How many teeth did you come up with? And how is it doing?

I am planning to drive Y axis with 2 steppers. I have not done this before and am not sure what I am talking about. Y and Z will be 425 oz. NEMA 23
2: Will I need two stepper drivers for Y if I use 2 steppers?
3: If I use 425 oz. NEMA 23 Can the motor size for this axis be smaller?

I am not sure that makes sense but I understand it. :crazy)
Thanks Jerry
check out my latest clock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7DarR ... load_owner

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Getting things syphered out ?

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Jerry,

My servo CNC router that I changed my timing pulley ratios has ball screws. I thought you were going with a belt drive? What kind of ways will you be using? It just seems your going way overkill on this build for a 6W laser. Will it have a spindle also?

Our belt drive Shapeoko 2 has two steppers for the Y axis. What is the max drive amps for those steppers? If you double that rating should give you an idea if one driver can run them both by it's max output rating.

Very cool clock. Where do you find time for all these projects? Do you ever sleep? ;-D

Jeff

Honk

Re: Getting things syphered out ?

Postby Honk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:15 pm

JEFF
Oh I see!!! and Thanks!!! I am going to use a belt on X, Y and Z. It will not have a spindle, and I am building my own linear rails I have two done and am trying to figure out X now. I plan on only using it for the laser and when the rails are done I will put a picture on your Forum. The way I do it now at 39 IPM, .007 pixel resolution, and 2 X 3 foot art pieces it is sort of like watching paint dry (two or three coats). So I just build a clock while I pass the time watching the laser. If I down sized the Y axis steppers I might be able to keep it under 4 Amps and the a 4.2 Amp driver should work?
But I can get a 425 oz. 4 Axis stepper kit for around $ 250.00 from China. I am still figuring things out but a overkill might alleviate some of the skipped spaces I am so use to getting. My darling book keeper doesn't like me buying China things but I am just way to cheep and quite often I end up paying about the same.
THANKS AGAIN
JERRY

Return to “Hardware Discussions”