New 500mw Diode Laser engraving machine

Show us the machines your using with our Pic Software.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
ta1dr

Re: New 500mw Diode Laser engraving machine

Postby ta1dr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:15 am

very nice...
Ahmet UCAN
TA1DR
TURKEY/Istanbul

Jose

Postby Jose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:41 am

Hi and thanks for your kind words.

I edited the first post so people now have a link to the website where I bought it.

I advice to pay by CC, Paypal or Western Union. I paid by Bank Transfer, and had to pay 25 € to my bank for that, and their bank got another 39, so finally had to send another 39 by Western Union, and 20 plus for Western Union taxes, live to learn.....)

Anyways till the moment is a better machine than what I hoped. As laser engraving photos takes hours to do, I noticed the X axis motor got really really hot (too hot to touch by hand, and that means 80C or so) only half an hour after beggining any job.

So I have been looking into steppers (only used to brushed and brushless motors in RC) and discovered that steppers are feeded all the time, so need an accurate regulation of power for not to be burned. After discorver this, this morning I took a look into the PCB image that the seller sent to me and discovered an small pot in the driver. You have to move in to the left (counterclockwise) to give less power to the X axis motor. Just a bit, I think about 15 to 30 degrees, if You move too much the motor will stop cause not enough power. Now I´m doing a mirror engraving, been running it for 3 hours 21 minutes (73 % of the file) and the stepper is now barfely warm. :shock:

I think this is cause the drivers are adjusted for two steppers instead of one (Y axis has two steppers, one in each side) so the X axis alone stepper need to have its driver regulated properly.

When finish this later engraving I´ll post the settings I´m using at the moment in the GRBL controller. I can´t get them with the controller running.

Saludos and thanks for your time and help,
Jose

I attach here a picture to show what i mean about the driver:
Attachments
laserboard  WITH MOTOR HOT REDUCTION.jpg
laserboard WITH MOTOR HOT REDUCTION.jpg (175.06 KiB) Viewed 12642 times

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Jose,

I sent a message to that seller of your machine suggesting some changes to there controller and laser driver so it could engrave grayscale images. I also asked for more info on the pin designation of the Nano and what grbl it uses so we can determine if changes can be made easily to it. No word back from them yet.

Jeff

Jose

Postby Jose » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Probably they are studying it though I talked about that with them some weeks ago but they didn't look ver interested in modifying their PCB at this moment, time will tell....

I'm burning (etching?) mirror right now. I like mirror cause it allows me use very small pixel size (0.12-0.14 mm) and get really nice resolution....but...how do I finish the process? I mean.... I ruined today two 5 hours jobs cause I painted the backside with normal white paint and now its very difficult to see the images.
It's really a pity cause I looked at them with a light in the back and they were very nice.... :cry:

What do you use to paint the backside of the mirror?

I'll open a thread in the gallery to show the results of my machine.

Thanks in advance, saludos

Jose

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi Jose,

If you use the negative selection, with more laser power it will appear white in the front and less power will be mirror so it appears black. I only use a light coat of clear paint on the back to seal it afterwards. A heavier coat of clear will dull the results. This way a back lite will show the image and no light will show the image also.

Look at our mirror engravings in our gallery page. These were done this way.

http://www.picengrave.com/Gallery.htm

Jeff

Jose

Postby Jose » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:23 pm

What I do is when I edit the .nc file after getting the code from Pic5, is to replace M03 S1000.0(laser on) with M05 (laser off) and M03 S0.0 (laser off) with M03 (laser on) and this way I get a file with ''negatve'' commands. Works right. Only no forget to flip the image when editing it while adjusting contrast, sharpen, etc...

Going to attach last ''freezed'' job after three and half hours.

Saludos,
Jose

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Jose,

That will work also. ;-D

Those that I have seen paint the back black, does not reverse the power because the higher power will burn the mirror coating off, so the black paint will show through to the front.

Jeff

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Jose,

Our new PEP5 V5.0.18 can generate the M03/M05 commands for pulsing your laser. You will not need to edit the 3D file any more. Use the Mach3 TTL profile and set your on/off commands in the Mach3 TTL Port.

Mach3 TTL.JPG
Mach3 TTL.JPG (13.49 KiB) Viewed 12573 times

Download the latest version of PEP5 here. viewforum.php?f=26

Please let us know if it works for you.

Thanks.
Jeff

Jose

Postby Jose » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Picengravertoo wrote:Jose,

Our new PEP5 V5.0.18 can generate the M03/M05 commands for pulsing your laser. You will not need to edit the 3D file any more. Use the Mach3 TTL profile and set your on/off commands in the Mach3 TTL Port.

Mach3 TTL.JPG

Download the latest version of PEP5 here. viewforum.php?f=26

Please let us know if it works for you.

Thanks.
Jeff

Thanks You both (or three, the more I read the more I realize the nice team You are).
This feature is really very useful for me.

But, unfortunately, I am grounded (in fact I´m sunk cause I am diver instructor)... :mrgreen: till solves a Little problema:

viewtopic.php?f=10&p=365#p365

As tomorrow will rain and will stay at town, will try to check everything in the board to try to solve this before sending the PCB and LD to China and await a mínimum of 2-4 weeks to be again on this.

At least, after trying the install/unistall of the Picsender, did an image engrave in mirror (dithering) and recovered one of the two I lost when painted the back in White.. :P (fortunately this time the 3.5.1 worked :shock: )

Will take some potos and attach them in here to show what this machine is capable of, when working properly, :shock:

Thanks again for your help, dudes, and I´ll keep into this till I make that machine Works without failure and with your softare, cause I really start to be in love of Pic5. :lol:

Saludos,
Jose

BTW. Can I post the pictures in here until I be able to engrave true grayscale? Cause to put them in the gallery next to yours, lol, people are going to think I am in te wrong place.. :lol:

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Post away. I just posted a TTL engraving myself.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61

Return to “Show us your Machines”