Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Hytech2k

PicLaser 3D

Postby Hytech2k » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 am

I was just reading through the PL 3D page and noticed it will only merge G code generated in PEP. Also it will only merge analog code with the spindle code.

So the possibility of me designing in Vectric V-Carve pro and generating G code from there and merging it with laser G code is not possible correct?
If I import a gray scale depth map model of one of my signs into PEP would I be able to overlay text or a graphic on that model?

Last question, I noticed it only merges spindle and analog correct, if so then that will effect what controller or at least what method I choose to do gray scale with, a MA3/DAC or PWM.

I appologize for all the questions, i'm just trying to feel out if i'm able to do what I would like to be able to on my current signs.

Thanks

Gerald

edit: just loaded PEP5 and see now that the analog setting is analog/pwm so I assume using PWM with a Arduino would be ok.. Please correct me if i'm wrong..

Hytech2k

Re: PicLaser 3D

Postby Hytech2k » Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 am

I was working with PEP5 some and notice when you try and add text a load file dialog comes up looking for a image file. I could use Photoshop and do my text and graphic then overlay them on my 3D model?

Thanks again

Gerald

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri May 29, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Gerald,

PicLaser 3D requires precise synchronization of two gcode files. A spindle relief gcode file and a laser intensity gcode file. Both have to be created from PEP5 for the line count to be the same. Other programs will generate the line count differently. The two images (depth map and shaded image) has to be exactly the same pixel width & height for PEP5 to generate the two gcode files with the same line count. Actually it takes three Gcode files the same size. The first is for cutting the actual spindle relief. It takes a small bit to do the spindle relief because lager ones will cut out any fine detail.

You can do all the editing you need to the image files with another image editor, but remember that things will need to align in both images such as text. Make sure they are a minimum of 100DPI resolution.

PicLaser 3D will combine spindle code with the X,Y & Z axis letters with the Laser code A,B,C (analog) or S (PWM) laser power commands and even will add Feed Rate Change (F) if it's present in the laser code.

I did a preliminary dry run test with the J-Tech LaserMode grbl and it ran X,Y,Z,S & F on every line of gcode, so it's possible the do this with an Arduino UNO and a 3 axis stepper shield. All three axis's moved and the laser power and feedrate went up and down.

Jeff

Hytech2k

Postby Hytech2k » Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Perfect, I think i understand now. What i'm trying to do is have a bunch of "blanks" already cut and sanded for some of my 3D signs, such as my Harley sign. Then be able to load the graphic and text into a template through Photoshop and be able to just load a blank in a jig on the laser and have it engrave the image file. This would open alot of doors for the if i'm able to take someones photo of say them and their bike or just their bike and engrave it onto the sign with a name or saying on the banner. I'll just have to sort out matching the depth map relief with the image precisely to make a template. Good to know its possible !! :D

I probably won't be using the Uno and the JTech grbl though. The Uno seems to be maxed out on what it can do running a laser (no pins left for estops or homing) so i'm going to give the Mega 2650 with a Ramps 1.4 board a shot. The firmware has already been designed for a laser application, seems to be a common mod for the cheap K40 chinese lasers. The biggest upside for me are alot of extra ports for estops and homing, a nice LCD display where you can change some settings or jog the machine, plus a SD card slot to be able to use it as a stand alone machine, no need to have it tethered to a PC to feed it gcode, but you still have that option if you wish to do it that way.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

What commands does the Mega & Ramps require for the laser intensity? M106 S (fan PWM)? If so, PicLaser 3D will not combine that code. Also I hope the streamer you use can run very large, fast changing gcode files. We have not done any testing with that type of control, so you will have to rely on others to support all of your questions. :couchD

Mach3 would be your best bet for using PicLaser 3D.

Jeff

Hytech2k

Postby Hytech2k » Fri May 29, 2015 5:57 pm

You are correct, the M106 S# command controls the fan output. Here's the thing though, the Ramps board is a true 4 axis board, all that needs to be done is reassign the extruder axis from E to one PEP5 supports such as B or C and set the steps per mm to run either a stepper tied to a MA3 or a DAC. I do realize you haven't tested this setup, all i'm asking is in theory would this work possibly with the gcode PEP5 would output? Here is a picture of the Ramps board and pinout.

This is the pinout for 3D printer applications, but the firmware has been modified already for CO2 laser use using on/off and PWM.

I'm just testing the waters to see what will work or may have the capabilities of working. I may possibly run a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter in the fall, and would like to keep this as reasonably priced as possible when it comes to the hardware and electronics. The cost difference of your software just to feed an Arduino gcode is a fraction of Mach 3 doing the equivalent thing, not to mention arduino hardware is much more affordable as well.

Thanks

Gerald

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm

The only two profiles in PEP5 that generates the G1 on every line of axis movements is Mach3 TTL & 3D Laser. PicLaser 3D only works with the spindle & analog/pwm profile.

Jeff

Return to “PicLaser 3D”