Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
cstmwrks

Re: Setting up picLaser and j Tech DAC PWM

Postby cstmwrks » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 am

OK, as of last night I have the new DAC wired up, a test photo converted to g code and am going over last minute details of the set up. At this point I have 2 questions.

First one is about the step and direction pulse. I suspect the answer is " it does not matter on the motors" but figured I'd ask. My machine is set at 2 for both in the set up for running a router. I noticed when changing the pulse for one axis your changing it for all of them. Mach 3 only allows a value up to 5. So changing the step and direction pulse on the X,Y and Z axis has no real effect on there operation, correct?

Picengravertoo wrote: I use the A axis because the Mach3 screenset has a DRO & jogging keys for it by default. In Gen Config, set the A axis as linear.

Jeff

This has me a little lost right now. I've looked at my screenset with XYZ and one labeled 4th, also the DRO that comes in on the right side with the use of the tab key.. That has pre set XYZ buttons controlled by mouse clicks. I did notice under the jog mode button there is MPG axis ALT A, 2nd axis ALT B and 3rd axis ALT C. Are you referring to these?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 am

When I used a 2 step & dir pulse with our PicConvert DAC, it lost steps. A setting of 3 fixed it.

Look in General Config settings screen to set the A axis to Linear. It's the Angular Properties setting that gives you a choice of angular or linear. Uncheck the A-Axis. The 4th axis DRO and the < & > on the keyboard is for jogging the A axis by default.

cstmwrks

Postby cstmwrks » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 pm

WOW.. well i just burned a very muddy photo image! Some how I figured there would be a bunch of set up issues or some thing would not allow the laser to fire. Kinda freaked me out to just have it jump to life and start burning!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 am

You do understand that when the DAC is first powered up, it goes to half modulation output? You have to jog up half the range and zero the A axis there before running a gcode file with my recommended settings.

cstmwrks

Postby cstmwrks » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Took me calling the folks at CNCRP to learn how to set the keys to jog the A axis. You just answered one question before I even asked it. Next time I'll jog and zero the A and test it again. Before I could not do that as the keys had not been set.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:43 am

It's been a long time since I originally setup Mach3 and I thought the < & > was the keyboard shortcuts by default for jogging the A axis just like the arrow keys are for the X&Y. Oh well, you got it figured out.

cstmwrks

Postby cstmwrks » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:55 am

That's OK. i go through that allot. You have to figure stuff out and once some of the tiny ( but important ) details are figured out, you sort of forget about them. It's not some thing you deal with every time you run it. Hope to do a test today and see if I can burn some thing more impressive looking!

cstmwrks

Postby cstmwrks » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Jeff,
OK, I still don't have some thing set up right. I just tried another test, turned the laser on, used the jog key to shut off the laser, zeroed the A axis and ran the image. Looks just as bad as all my others. Some thing I did notice more clearly this time. The bottom section of the image is white so with the the g code giving a command of A0 the laser should be off. That is how it starts out. Maybe five passes back and forth and the laser is off. Then we get to the image. The g code shows A255 and should fire at it's full power setting. That parts happens as well. BUT the laser does not turn off when it moves past the the dark part of the image and the next line of code is an A0. The laser stays on all the way through the image burn. Just the intensity varies.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Why are you using A255 for the max? It should be A-.0255 for the max.

cstmwrks

Postby cstmwrks » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll have to check the set up again in PicLaser, So in the G code I should see it as A-.0255 and not A255. That would explain allot.

Return to “PicLaser or PicLaser Lite”